Is it safe to feed almond meal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thumper76, Feb 26, 2013.

1. thumper76

thumper76 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    W. WA, land of the wet.
    I just made a batch of almond milk and was wondering if is it safe to give my hens the left over almond meal. It is ground up almonds, vanilla bean and dates. TIA

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think that is a resounding yes on the almonds and dates - your chickens should love it!! Unsure on the vanilla bean but I don't know why it would hurt them

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    All I can say is, lucky chickens! Both nuts, vanilla beans, and dates are perfectly fine for the chooks.

~ Aspen

4. ehealyw

ehealyw New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    You asked my EXACT question! I also add cinnamon to mine, any idea if that is safe too?

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yes, cinnamon is actually very healthy for chickens. It acts as a breathing stimulate and immune booster.

6. GreenSoul

GreenSoul Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    I am so excited to hear this is ok for them I hate waste so this will be good use of my almond pulp!

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you use real cinnamon (Ceylon) there are a number of benefits for using it but the cinnamon that most stores have is cassia and it less "potent" and may not have all the health benefits as Ceylon.

8. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    I love this website! Just made a batch of almond milk and was wondering the same thing, only I sweetened mine with honey. Any objection to that?

9. CabSauv

CabSauv New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    NW WA
    Yay!!! I was searching this very question! I make a batch of almond milk weekly and im running out if things to do with the almond meal! Are there any other nuts they should avoid? I usually make a blend of hazelnut, Brazil nut, coconut flesh, cashews and almonds. If any of that is a problem I can easily eliminate it from my milk.

10. Kitty525

Kitty525 New Egg

Apr 25, 2015
    Could I feed almond milk, to my newborn duckling, Its only a day old, and I don't have feed delivered yet, ethier,but I have a nursering bottle.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by