Is it safe to feed quail honey?

Ebony H

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2017
I was just wondering if it would be safe to add a tiny bit of honey into these treats that I’m making my quails for Christmas. I can’t seem to find anything saying if it’s safe or not. It will be a very small amount, please let me know. :D
Thank you.

I am not sure about quail but we have a couple bee-hives. My chickens have never had any issues consuming honey. I don't give it to them straight but I do put some in treats/supplements from time-to-time. :)

I am not sure about quail but we have a couple bee-hives. My chickens have never had any issues consuming honey. I don't give it to them straight but I do put some in treats/supplements from time-to-time. :)
Thank you, I will add a little bit into their treats :)

The only quail I know is Robert from my favorite book 'That Quail, Robert' and the wonderful little flocks of quail that roam our property.

But I do know Robert's human family regularly fed him sugared treats. Not a great idea due to obesity and other health concerns, but he didn't seem to have any observable problems from it.

And I used honey extensively throughout my rooster's recovery process from a coyote attack. I applied thick coats a couple times a day on his wounds. He would dip his beak into the honey and I'm sure consumed a small amount daily for weeks.

In fact it's quite possible his ingestion of honey may have helped with his remarkable healing. I'm not advocating intentionally feeding honey to birds; I'm not clear yet on any harmful side effects. But Henry seems to have handled it without any dire consequences.

I would think the same would hold true for quail, as long as each treat contains a very small amount of honey.

The only quail I know is Robert from my favorite book 'That Quail, Robert' and the wonderful little flocks of quail that roam our property.

But I do know Robert's human family regularly fed him sugared treats. Not a great idea due to obesity and other health concerns, but he didn't seem to have any observable problems from it.

And I used honey extensively throughout my rooster's recovery process from a coyote attack. I applied thick coats a couple times a day on his wounds. He would dip his beak into the honey and I'm sure consumed a small amount daily for weeks.

In fact it's quite possible his ingestion of honey may have helped with his remarkable healing. I'm not advocating intentionally feeding honey to birds; I'm not clear yet on any harmful side effects. But Henry seems to have handled it without any dire consequences.

I would think the same would hold true for quail, as long as each treat contains a very small amount of honey.
Thank you! I only added in the tiniest amount and they seem to love it and have no problem with it :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom