Is it safe to put paper egg cartons in bator to help hold and seperate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i should be getting my very first babtor in bout week (its in the mail) and i will be having alot fo diffrent eggs peole have offered me to help with my very first incubation/ hatching egg ever so please if you know is this is ok let me know thanks also still looking for cheap eggs, as i want a full load so i have a higher chance of some hatching so my moral wont be smashed thanks

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what kind of bator are you getting? and yes you can use cardboard cartons. i use a alto/turner for days 1-18, then after last turn of the morning on the 18 i take the turner out and place them in cardboard cartons, (eggs big end up). and i keep my temps at 99.5, and my humidy at 35% days 1-18, when i take turner out i bring the humidy up to 50-60%, not over 65 at any point ever. ps i have an LG with alto/ turner and fan ps be sure to cut the bottoms out of each egg hole for air flow

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    this is what i got GQF Hova-Bator Thermal Air Flow Egg Incubator or will have when it gets here i just ordered it yesterday

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I usually use the cardboard cartons, but this weekend I used styrofoam ones. Didn't seem to make a difference. Good luck and happy hatching!!!!

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thanks so much for your help i cant wait till my batter arrives im so ready to start

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would recommend cutting a hole in the bottom of each egg section to allow for better humidity flow.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Absolutely - I did that too.

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:ok thanks again so much, so off this is it ok to use the egg carton the whole way through or just for the last few days?

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    If you don't have a turner and your incubator is high enough, you can use it all the way through. Just put a block of wood under the side and tilt it at least 3 times a day. On day 18, remove the wood, up the humidity and you're on your way. Like Opa said though, cut/poke holes in the bottoms of the cups to allow for air circulation.

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:thats what i was unsure about i thought turning eggs wa slike you pic it up and turn it i wasnt sure but your idea of a block on one side is good thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by