Is it safe to treat ten-week-olds with poultry dust?

BackToMyRoots

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Matthews, NC
I did a search on this topic but couldn't find anything, probably because it's common knowledge for all you experienced folks. I have a nine or ten week old EE with a bald neck patch who is continuing to lose feathers. He seems to scratch and fluff quite a bit, too, and the feathers he loses have pockmarked-looking shafts. The area around the bald patch has a little bit of brown discoloration, but I don't see any distinct wounds or scabs. His skin looks a little pink. I haven't caught any feather picking, but there is definitely some conflict, flaring, and flying at each other during free range time in the evening.

I'd like to treat everyone in the coop tonight with poultry dust just in case it's not feather picking or genetics, but I don't know if would be bad for them at this age. I posted the pics from last week just in case they help. The pink skin, slight discoloration and incresaed bare area have happened this week, so they're not visible.

Thank you!

61878_clipboard02.jpg

61878_clipboard03.jpg

Quote:
Assuming that you suspect mites/lice, have you checked them for such? To determine the presents of lice/mites, pick one or two off the roost at night and use a good flashlight to look around the vent area and under the tail. If they are present you can see them scurrying for cover. Not sure of the ingredients in "poultry dust", but Sevin dust is safe for use on day olds, even broody hens. If you suspect feather picking, Noxema face cream, or a generic of the same, is as good a deterrent as any. Good lluck..........Pop

I went to get the dust this morning and the owner had an interesting suggestion: lower the hanging food another inch in case the lip on the bottom of the feeder is rubbing on or breaking off neck feathers when the little guy walks around it to eat. I may as well try it, right? I'm still going to dust them tonight.

Back
Top Bottom