Is it safe to use a fish tank/plastic storage bin as a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JSW99, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Online they said it would be okay to use a plastic storage bin or a fish tank for a brooder, but will it get to hot? I have a feeling that it will either become to hot and hurt the chicks feet, or start a fire. Is it safe?

2. CrystalWho

CrystalWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    The TARDIS
    I have a book that says to use a fish tank.

3. nh104

nh104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    Im using a fish tank without any issues. Stays constant 85-90 inside. Not hot or any air flow problems.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Up until this year, I have been keeping my chicks in a plastic bin. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I assume you already know this, but just make sure to put bedding on the bottom of the brooder, then it should not bother their feet.

5. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I too, used a plastic storage tote as a brooder box and was satisfied with the results. What I liked about it was that I could drill holes in it for modifications. I used an ecoglow with mine, which the birds loved. And then used a clip on work light for light to establish a light/dark cycle with the birds. No issues with too hot or cool either way. They were very comfortable.

6. shannonruedger

shannonruedger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Constantine Mi
    I am using a 55 gallon rubbermaid tote and it is working great. I had a 250 watt heat lamp on them for the first 2 weeks and then just had the heat on in the spare room where I have them for now. During the day I have a section partioned off where they get their exercise and fresh vegys for treats once a day with a bit of gravel on the side. Mine are about 5 weeks and almost ready to be taken out to their new coop and run. At night I place them back in their tote and put a screen on it. They just love using those new wings. good luck

7. jrsno1fan

jrsno1fan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    I used a rubbermaid tote as well with a red heat lamp worked out great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by