Is it safe to use a fish tank/plastic storage bin as a brooder?

blueshirt8876

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Virginia
Online they said it would be okay to use a plastic storage bin or a fish tank for a brooder, but will it get to hot? I have a feeling that it will either become to hot and hurt the chicks feet, or start a fire. Is it safe?

Up until this year, I have been keeping my chicks in a plastic bin. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I assume you already know this, but just make sure to put bedding on the bottom of the brooder, then it should not bother their feet.

I too, used a plastic storage tote as a brooder box and was satisfied with the results. What I liked about it was that I could drill holes in it for modifications. I used an ecoglow with mine, which the birds loved. And then used a clip on work light for light to establish a light/dark cycle with the birds. No issues with too hot or cool either way. They were very comfortable.

I am using a 55 gallon rubbermaid tote and it is working great. I had a 250 watt heat lamp on them for the first 2 weeks and then just had the heat on in the spare room where I have them for now. During the day I have a section partioned off where they get their exercise and fresh vegys for treats once a day with a bit of gravel on the side. Mine are about 5 weeks and almost ready to be taken out to their new coop and run. At night I place them back in their tote and put a screen on it. They just love using those new wings. good luck

I used a rubbermaid tote as well with a red heat lamp worked out great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom