Is it safe?

Momto3

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Northern Idaho
Ok so the only spot where we could put the run for the chickens is where we had a burn pile before. There is also some rocks and I do plan on putting sand in their run. But for right now there is just alot of ash an stuff. Is that ok for them to peck at or be around? If not I will NOT let them out again till I get the sand down. But there is NO way I can get all of the ask out of the area.

As long as you were burning clean stuff, wood, brush, paper etc. The carbon would actually be good for holding down odors. I use wood ash mixed into my birds sand pits for dusting to help control lice and mites.

If it was your typical old farm pile, I'd be warry because of the toxins, as well as half melted metals. Maybe you want to remove & replace the current dirt in that spot, watching out for nails and stuff.

Yep it is all yard waste stuff, nothing rubber or anything like that. I was really starting to freak out, that I had hurt them by putting them in the run. We dont have the run connected to the coop yet, hubby has to finish that. But they NEED to get outside. So I carried them out in a tub. Talk about chicken momma love.
lol.png

Ms.Frizzle :

If it was your typical old farm pile, I'd be warry because of the toxins, as well as half melted metals. Maybe you want to remove & replace the current dirt in that spot, watching out for nails and stuff.

There was nothing gross in the pile, just yard stuff. I do plan on racking it some more before I add the sand, but I cant remove it all.​

Back
Top Bottom