Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilverDuck284, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I've set up my Bator in preparation for some Cayuga duck eggs. Its pretty much ready to go but I noticed a slight variation. My temp generally lingers right around 99.5 but will occasionally rise to 100.5. Its on a water heater thermostat, so I'd rather not adjust it if it's not absolutely necessary. It took me more than a few attempts to get it where it is. Will a degree warmer harm the embryos? This will be my first hatch, I may be overly worried, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks. =]

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Going up to 100 degrees wont hurt them I don't think. When I hatched eggs it was places from 87 - 102 degrees. I think your temperature is perfect! To make a long story short, during my first hatch it got to 108 degrees for to hours. I got a 5/6 hatch! :) Good luck with your hatch!

3. CluckyBoss

CluckyBoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    A slight temperature change is normal. My incubator gets
    slightly cooler at night. If your incubator holds this

temperature, your eggs will be fine.
    Temperature wise, anyways.

Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina

Wow, that's scary, yet impressive! I think I'd have a panic attack if I saw the temps that high. If you think about it, our own bodies go into shock when I core temp is too high. These tiny little babies are so delicate, its hard to believe they could servive that.

Thanks so much!

I don't worry too much about occasional drops in temp, mom has to get off the eggs now and then, right? So I figure that it's safe as long as they don't get cold, normal even. But too high a temp and temp spikes.. Scares me. But it's only a degree, so I guess it's like mom has a slight fever?
    lol.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What you are measuring is air temperature. It takes a while for the core egg temperature to change when the air temperature goes up. I don't like spikes but they are not necessarily deadly. It depends on how high they go and how long they stay there. Temperature drops are much the same,

You do have a risk if the core egg temperature changes. I think rises are more dangerous than drops. But as long as you don't get much of a change to the core temperature, it's not that dangerous.

I would not worry a lot about the air temperature getting one degree high as long as it doesn't stay there very long. It might raise your average incubating temperature a bit so you get a little early hatch, but it should not harm the hatch, especially if it cools back off.

6. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Actually the only temps that read 100.5 is my make shift water wiggler. The thermometer in the Bayer never reads that high, it doesn't have points of a degree, but the high and low are both 99. My guess is that it's off a little. But I have three thermometers in the wiggler, 1 probe and 2 infant. They all read the same, and sometimes they read 100.5

Thanks for your input! =]

7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I had a panic attack!! I thought for sure my babies were dead!! But the next day we candled and they were still moving around a lot. I think Number 6 died before the temp went that high. It had a lot of bacteria around the egg and the air sack was to the side. It was also exciting because I got 1 roo and 4 hens! :)

8. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina

Wow, sounds like you got really lucky! I'm setting 8 eggs and hoping at least 6 hatch. I'll be happy just to get half and half. I don't know what I'll do if I end up with more drakes than ducks.

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have a Cayuga duckling! I'm pretty sure it's a boy..Either way I don't care because the only reason I can't have roosters is because of the noise. By the way! Good luck with your hatch!

10. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thank you!! =D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by