Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken_Lover4567, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Ok. I have a small question. Is it safe to put a very small amounts of nail polish on one of my chicks toes to tell the difference between the two? I just want to know if it is safe, for now and future reference.[​IMG]

2. beckysuzp

beckysuzp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Altmar, NY
    That's a good idea! I want to know if it's safe too!! I've got six 6-week old white LH's that I can't tell apart and 4 younger brown ones that I can't either!! What have you got?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I paint mine when they hatch. It works great but they wear it off very quickly.

4. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    someone recommend i put nail polish remover on my chick so he would heal, as long as its non-toxic i would assume soo....

5. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    You may want to put on a color other than red. My hens love to peck at my toes when I wear red polish. But then do we know if chickens see color??? Hmmmm....

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Someone recommended that a dot of non-toxic dye or food coloring on their heads may be a better idea b/c you don't want them pecking at their own or each other's toes with the nail polish...I'm not sure about doing either lol...

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*There is no non-toxic nail polish remover. There is a non-acetone remover, but it is not non-toxic.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*There is no non-toxic nail polish remover. There is a non-acetone remover, but it is not non-toxic.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    You can nip out the web between the toes, somehow. Its an old method of marking chicks, but I gotta confess I dont really know how its done.

10. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Thanks you guys! Great ideas. Oh, and I have 10 Barred Rocks. 9 pullets, one roo. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by