is it savable

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cuillan, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cuillan

cuillan New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    [​IMG] I have 6 eggs in the incubator usually have a good success rate. This time only one has hatched but its really sick. It hatched about 3 hours ago but hasn't even attempted to stand and it mouth just keeps moving. It's umbilical cord is still attached to it and a huge amount of shell. It's still really wet but i discovered it was lying in a puddle so have moved it onto a plastic lid to dry out in the bator. Oh ye 3 hours on it's still blind like when there coming out. Its a light sussex.

Is this savable or a pts job?

Thanks

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    When are they actually due to hatch? Sounds like it's a really early hatcher, and it will likely die, but it might not, just give it some time...

3. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    I had a really late hatcher (3 days late) that we actually had to help along and it came out just like yours. Ours didn't get up until something like 12 hour later and then it was so wobbly it could barely get around. After giving it some vitamin/electrolyte solution 3X daily via eyedropper and a couple days rest by itself in the incubator it is doing fine. I would give it some time, hatching can take a lot out of a chick, it may just need time to build up its strength. Place it on a dry paper towel so that it can get its footing when ready. If it really appears to be suffering, then PTS, otherwise just wait. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. cuillan

cuillan New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks Guys

It looks like an early but tbh it was due yesterday and all my previous batches have been a day early so it's 2 days later than norm. I just had a look, it's very very weak, I've managed to detach it from the egg shell (there was only a little blood). It still has cord attached but I thought it was more likely to have a hernia with half a shell attached. It's still very wet so if it's still alive in the morning I'll shift a lizard and put it under it's heat lamp instead of the one I use for day olds., it worked for some ducklings I hatched. Looks like both it's eyes are still covered though. i'll keep you posted.

5. cuillan

cuillan New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi guys

Checked on the chick when I got up this morning and their was no change it was still not moving and was looking very weak still. An hour later it was gone. R.I.P little one

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by