Is it stealing if they dont know???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    OK! Well I just had the BEST idea ever. So In my old neighborhood they have a pond where they have added ducks like every summer. You go along the bank side with trees and you see 8 - 9 nests FULL of like 40 -50 eggs. I see their ducks mating constantly and the eggs just sit there and I dont think the adults incubate them themselves.

Could I ( After asking of course, im good friends with the owners of the nursing home, ive rescued numerous injured ducks from there) Take some of the eggs and incubate them? I coul talk to the guy and see if I can throw the old stinky ones away and then take some of the eggs from the nests.

I dont want to be stealing from the ducks but I mean seriously, Ill have to get a picture of the nests because there is just NO WAY that these can be incubated by the females.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    After you talk to the people and get permission this is what i'd do..
    Pick 1 or 2 nest sites..clean out ALL the old eggs from it...maybe leave one so the ducks know to go there to lay still... then...let the ducks lay all new fresh eggs and collect them daily. Otherwise you have no idea how old the eggs will be in those nests..and that will be nasty if they are bad and explode in you bator... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:As long as you ask permission, I don't think it is, you're using a resource that would otherwise go to waste. Since they keep adding to the duck population there, perhaps offer to hatch some eggs, with the understanding that you would be happy to hatch some for them to restock with as needed. You can;t control if the ducks go broody or not, but you can help them keep the pond stocked with ducks for the residents.

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks! I have a friend who still lives there and Im going to try to get a hold of her and see if she can help me out. My grandma lives about a mile down the road so im sure If I stay with her once a week I can Take care of that, Even offer them advice on maybe getting a duck hut so their gals have somewhere to lay thats a little more solid.

They have ALOT of turtles So they loose their ducklings that are hatched their most of the time.

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

maybe you need someone to help you hatch all those adorable babies? eh? [​IMG]

but seriously... i will [​IMG]

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Boy, Oh Boy, Goat_Walker,,,,,,,,,you do have an addiction-obsession or whatever you want to call it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. You're going to start an egg rescue sanctuary?? [​IMG]

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:That is a GREAT idea!

And Bleenie - If I get too many for m bator ( Still have to go talk to the guy ) Ill definantly let you know! Of course I cant take any eggs from smaller individual nests but from the "colony" nests Im sure I can clean them out.

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Henry'schickens :

Boy, Oh Boy, Goat_Walker,,,,,,,,,you do have an addiction-obsession or whatever you want to call it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

I cant help it [​IMG] they are just so SOFT, and FLUFFY, and unlike most people I know they speak their minds and have a personality [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by