Is it stuck?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SillyJillie, Sep 16, 2016.

1. SillyJillie

SillyJillie Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

This is my first time hatching peafowl and 4 out of 5 have hatched without problem. This 5th one pipped at the same time as the rest, yesterday. It managed to get a huge hole and stuck its feet out, I keep seeing it's little face and its eyes are open and the poor think keeps chirping and the egg is rolling around frantically. Is it stuck? Do I need to intervene? Or will it be fine?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. SillyJillie

Thank you - This was helpful and I ended up just pulling a couple pieces of shell off and set 'her' back into the bator. She was able to spin enough to finish her way out of the egg without further assistance but now I have a new problem - Her feet are curled...

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Glad to hear your peababy made it out!
    There is great advice available about making shoes to fix curled toes, and the toe experts should pop up soon to help you.
    Hey @KsKingBee , did you post those excellent photos somewhere here?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. SillyJillie

Did this too! I put the shoes on her yesterday right after this post. Took them off this morning and her feet look great! I'm going to go ahead and say it was egg issues. She's by far the smallest peachick on top of it all. One of my chicken chicks has become very mothering to her, snuggles up with her, preens her down, sleeps with her neck across the pea's neck - so odd to me but awesome at the same time. Hopefully she won't have too much of a struggle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by