Is it stuck?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    It's day 24..some have hatched, and I also have 3 current pips. One seems to be trying to unzip, but appears to be unable to move around in the egg, so instead of zipping, it has punched about a quarter size hole in the egg. It's been like that for a couple hours now. It moves it's beak as if it's looking for something else to peck, but can't reach anything else. Wait more? Help?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Was the whole batch at 24 days, or just a few leftovers?

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Most will disagree but if you think it's stuck and needs help, then help it. But if you see blood, STOP.

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    First pip was day 23, 7am. First hatch was day 23 (yesterday) around 4:30pm. 3 more hatched and 3 more pipped over night and into the early hours of this morning. Last hatch was 5am this morning, day 24. There are also another 8 eggs that haven't pipped at all.

5. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    And we are talking chickens, not guineas, or something else?

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yes, all chickens. The ones that have hatched have all been EE's. The one currently in question is a Turken.

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry about all the questions, but sometimes we all get mixed up.
    It almost sounds like maybe the temp was a little off, and they are popping a little late. Sounds like the one trying to zip needs a little moisture. Maybe take a q-tip,and drip a little warm water on the opening of the shell.
    Don't get his face wet, he could drown. This sounds like the dreaded "shrink wrap"

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I was really hoping no one would tell me to do this [​IMG]

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Ugh..ok. That's what I was afraid of. When I look in the hole, which I think I mentioned is quarter sized...I can actually see a good portion of it. The beak, neck, feathers...some other unidentifiable stuff, LOL. I can also see around the hole, some of the inner membrane...it's white. Most of it still appears to be attached to the inside of the shell, but there does seem like a small section that has detached, which was leading me to worry about shrink wrap.

10. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've done it many times. The problem we run into, is if the yolk isn't absorbed all the way, or the blood vessels around the inside of the shell are still there, that he will bleed to death.
    On the other hand, if he is ready to come out, and just stuck, he might suffocate trying too hard.
    Knowing the difference is hard, especially when the only way of finding out is opening the egg up.
    If he were the only one left at 23 days, I would yank him out.
    But since there are others that are slow, It may be he needs more time.
    DO NOT TAKE THIS AS THE RULE.... I would make some small cracks along the hole where his head is.
    If you see blood STOP. Another problem is taking your time, VS letting it get too cold/dried out.
    If you can get the zip all the way around, it's possible he may pop right out.
    Do you know if any of the others are fertile or not? Did you candle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by