Is it stupid to buy an incubator? I have old Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jonesgirl, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    We have a garage full of old cabinets, and I am SURE I can get one away from my DH... Tell me, if I have never incubated befreo, is it silly to try to build one myself? I don't want o spend a fortune, so would making it instead of buying one be a better option?

DOes anyone have a good cabinet bator instruction?

THanks!!!

2. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    If anyone has a used one I would be willing to buy.. Looking on ebay.. not finding much!!!

I've got an itch [​IMG]

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I really don't think that it would be too hard to build one really. I bought one and it doesn't really look too hard, my Dh could have built it. Search around the site, somebody did build one out of a cabinet lately, I will look for the thread.

4. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    MissPrissy made a really nice looking styro-bator, Ive also seen where you can make a turner with baskets for a reasonable price. As far as a cabinet bator sorry I dont know much about those.

5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you can build one like missprissy bator for less than $20.00, or place a ad on craig's list

6. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go for it!

The prices on incubators are awful, IMHO.... If I were going to lay out that kind of money, I would at least expect it to maintain temp/humidity without a hitch, and that does not seem to be the case -- if you have to fiddle anyway, why not start from scratch.... people incubate in their oven, and now, their bra!

8. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] One of these days when I have some vacation built up I will have to try that....... My hubby things I nutts now

[​IMG]

Just wait

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If I still had a roo, I would have when i read about her experiment.... and will, when my 5 week olds get a bit older....

My family already knows I am nuts, and that was before the chickens....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by