Is it time for surgery?

HomesteadDucks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2015
My ducks all have an infection in their feet. I have discovered the source of the problem and I have taken care of that. I began treating their feet with HealX Soothing Cream and clear iodine. They did a great job at cleaning the foot. The picture below are of the duck with the worst infection. The others aren't nearly as bad as this one. As you can see in the picture, the scab is almost gone. Is this bumblefoot? And regardless of what it is, does is need surgery? I just need the go ahead and I will clean it out but if you guys think that I shouldn't cut into it, I will leave it alone.

I know very very little about dealing with injuries or infections, but I'm relatively certain that isn't bumblefoot. Bumblefoot would have a visible spot of dead tissue. I can't say if cutting into it is a good idea or not, but my personal uneducated opinion would be to be very cautious about that if you're not even sure what it is.

My vet gives them a shot of baytril and though it takes a few days it clears up the infection..including a swollen joint from it. I don't like the idea of cutting a ducks foot open because they like to get dirty..and dirt and an open wound obviously don't mix well..

Back
Top Bottom