Is it time for the heat lamp to go???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, May 31, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

My youngest batch of chicks is a few days shy of 6 weeks old. They have been in their coop for weeks with free access to their run. For a week now they have had free access to the yard with the ability to go back into their coop or run at will all day long. At night, they are closed in their coop run with the heat lamp in one corner.

We are in upstate NY.. nights are around 50-60 this week.. who knows what next week will bring.. some nights we are 37.. the next night we could be 45.. weather is nuts lately..

My ??.. is it time for the heat lamp with infra red bulb to be turned off? There are 15 chicks total.. 9 of them are nearly 6 weeks old, the rest are 8 weeks old..

Aside from some head fuzz.. they are feathered..

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yes, go ahead and turn it off. They'll do fine. [​IMG]

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Ours are a month old and we just shut off the lamp yesterday. This morning our cockeral was crowing too. They are doing just fine although dh did see me sneaking their light on today since it was damp and chilly.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

My birds collectively decided they didn't want heat anymore when they were 6 weeks. I'm sure yours will be fine.

5. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I went out and removed the lamp.. two of my girls scared me half to death as they were roosting at eye level in the eaves of their "shed" and I wasn't expecting to see two sets of eyes peering at me as I removed the lamp.. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by