Is it time to ditch the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leisa1968, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Leisa1968

Leisa1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    My chicks are now 9 1/2 weeks old and they are now out in their coop 24 hours a day. They have been out there about a week now and I continue to turn the heat lamp on at night. And I also close them in the coop at dark. I did change from a red lamp to a ceramic heat lamp and they seem to sleep better. The temps here at night have been right around 30 degrees. Is it time to do away with the heat lamp? Or do I have to wean them off of it? If so......HOW? Thanks![​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Way past time. Watch your weather report. When you get a night with a low in the 40's? Pull it out.

Or, raise it up a couple feet. It will have far less ability to actually heat them. After a night or two, pull it out.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree that it's time to wean them off, although I probably wean a bit more slowly than Fred. And of course it depends on what they're use to (do you have a thermometer out there so you can find out how warm it is when you close it up?) compared to what night time temps are now in your area. If there's only a 10-15 degree difference...maybe even 20, I don't think it'd be a big deal. But if you're talking a 30 or 40 degree change, I'd probably shoot for dropping down over a week or two...

4. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It's time!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] bc I have feathers!! :Thumbsup

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Pull it out ([​IMG])
    You'll notice that the chicks' feather development will spike after the lamp is removed. Thats a good thing.

7. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Quote:OMFG that's funny. And true. [​IMG]

8. Leisa1968

Leisa1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks You All!:d

9. dgilm

dgilm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    so, mine are six weeks today... and I've been trying to remember to turn off the heat lamp during the day, and only turn it on at night (they are in our attached garage)... our daytime temps are ranging from 40-s-60's... night time more consistently in the 30's...

They seem to be pretty well feathered out, maybe still some feathering to go on their heads(not sure, since these are my first)

Should I continue with this, heat lamp (pretty high up) at night, and off during the day for a couple more weeks, then start leaving it off at night, until they move to the coop (which isn't finished yet, or they'd already be out there!)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    dgilm
    New Egg
    E-mail PM
    View My BYC Page

Re: Is it time to ditch the heat lamp?

so, mine are six weeks today... and I've been trying to remember to turn off the heat lamp during the day, and only turn it on at night (they are in our attached garage)... our daytime temps are ranging from 40-s-60's... night time more consistently in the 30's...

They seem to be pretty well feathered out, maybe still some feathering to go on their (not sure, since these are my first)

Should I continue with this, heat lamp (pretty high up) at night, and off during the day for a couple more weeks, then start leaving it off at night, until they move to the coop (which isn't finished yet, or they'd already be out there!)

Turn it off completely [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by