Is it time to help this chick out?? PIC.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovinchicks, Apr 21, 2012.

1. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what is going on with this hatch. This is only our 2nd time, but the first time it went so well,lol. In one more hour, it will be the start of day 23. This is the only one that has pipped. it had a small hole about 24 hours ago. It made a longer hole at about 10:00 last night, so that was about 16 hours ago. he will put it's beak through the hole, and move it sideways like he's tryin to do something. I candled two of the other eggs on day 21, and they were still moving, so I'm assuming others are still alive. I did not open the incubator since he pipped. We calibrated our hydrometer the way that was recommended on here with the salt in a bag. So with that said our humidity has been reading 58 to 65% (with water running low, then refilling), but with the calibration it said we should add 8% to it. so that would leave us with humidity of 66 to 73%.

So I don't know if this one is just waiting for it's yolk sac to absorb since no one else has hatched, or if it's stuck???? Any ideas from anyone?

2. lovinchicks

Feb 12, 2012
    I THINK, it might be moist in the egg, because when it sits still the membrane seems to dry out, but when it starts to move it gets moist looking again. kinda like how it looks in the picture. I couldn't stand not knowing if the other eggs had live chicks, so I pulled one out, (as fast as humanly possible) and candled, and it is still moving. This is driving me crazy!!!!! I wish another would just start to come out!!!

3. lovinchicks

Feb 12, 2012
    I was patient!!! And FINALLY it came out, lol.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by