Is it time to increase the brooder size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happymanny, Apr 7, 2017.

1. happymanny

happymanny Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Hello guys, I have 10 chicks that are 16 days old. They are growing at an alarming rate. That said, is there a rule of thumb on how much space they need in the brooder? I know its too soon to take them outside, but it's starting to seem crowded, at least to me.

[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    1-2sq feet per chick.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed. I like to give them 2 s.f./chick by the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old. A lot depends on the number of chicks. With a large brood of chicks, they can have a bit less sq. ft. per chick, and still have plenty of room to play.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicks double in size each week, and their space needs double each week as well. The good news is that after 6 weeks, the growth rate does begin to slow down.
    A basic guideline is as follows -
    1 week - 1/4 sq ft per chick
    2 weeks - 1/2 sq ft per chick
    3 weeks - 1 sq ft per chick
    4 weeks - 2 sq ft per chick
    5 weeks - 4 sq ft per chick
    6 weeks - 8 sq ft
    Past 6 weeks, they have about the same space needs as adults. It is much simpler to start with a large enough brooder from the start rather than constantly having to increase the space.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I raised 42 Light Sussex to 12 weeks old @ 2sq. Ft. Per bird and had no problems. By 5 weeks , most breeds are feathered out enough to go into the regular coop. I kept mine in grow out pens because I was wanting to select for a Breeding program . it was easier to eval the chicks in 7 bird groups. I had each group of 7 in one of those triple thick cardboard corrals they use for watermelons To the grocery store. Each one ( called a Gaylord in the industry) is 15 sq. Ft. I had no stress issues with the 7 corrals containing a total of 42 juvenile Light Sussex that season.
    Best,
    Karen
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by