Is it time?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by poolcoping, Apr 9, 2009.

1. poolcoping

poolcoping Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Aumsville
    I have had my pullets for about a month now in the hen house and since the weather is warming I'm considering leting them range for a few hours. They were born on Xmas so they are almost 4months old now and geting big! They are very content and happy birds but I think they would benifit from being in the field. I worry about predetors hiding in the old cars and tractors in the field a lot cause I would hate to loose a bird cause my flock is small (7hens 1rooster). I also have chickens next door and worry that they may get away under the fence(7ft high). I must also mention this is my 1st flock So I'm not sure if my concerns are just or if I am worring to much? Also I have goats in the field so is that a problem? Please help BYC friends!!!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Personal choice. There is always risk in free range, but it is their natural condition.

Goats are not usually a problem. The chickens do need some sunlight. Chickens do not usually fly above 7', but some do; you did not give breeds.

Good luck.

3. poolcoping

Mar 16, 2009
    Aumsville
    Sorry I have New Hamshire Reds

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    have you considered giving them a run....an enclosed space where they will be safe and protected.

I do this with my girls, they come out everyday into their run and when I am working out in the garden I let them free range, then I can kep an eye on them. But I am sure the goats would deter some predators.

I know it is a panic when you are new to all of this, I was afraid of them running away but they tend to stay near me in the hope of treats and if I am digging, they stick like glue. lol....

Good luck.

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I tried the free range thing and it was a disaster. Stray dogs are a nightmare! The hawks helped themselves to a few, too.
    I now keep mine in a covered chain link dog kennel, but one of them is allowed to help us in the garden, we put her in a wire dog crate while we are working outside so she can work the garden soil with us. Good luck with your flock!

6. poolcoping

Mar 16, 2009
    Aumsville
    Stray dogs aren't an issue here I have 10 old Family Red Nose dogs of my own in a seperate field.The fields are 3 acres each and enclosed with 7ft cyclone fencing(both fields)[​IMG] There are hawks here and Bald Eagles aswell which is a concern but The field over from mine the owners have a 17 bird flock which they have had for years. In those years they have never lost 1 bird free ranging but she has 10 goats with them! I'm not sure if that helps detour birds of prey abit or not but they seem happy and I wanna let my birds explore the field and world like their birds get to. Hmmm maybe I will build them a pen till the flock grows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by