1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it to cold to keep my ducks in a box outside with no light!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jxc900, May 1, 2016.

1. jxc900

jxc900 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    i had a polystyrene box and stuck installation on the sides i also put a hotter bottle in there at night is that too cold![​IMG]

2. TiffaStar

TiffaStar Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    I'm not an expert, but it may help more to know where you are located and how old are the ducklings?

3. jxc900

jxc900 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    the ducklings are a couple of days old and I'm in ashford kent.[​IMG]

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If you can be sure that the temp in the box stays above 26°c then it's fine. If not, they should be moved indoors.

5. TiffaStar

TiffaStar Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    What's the temp inside of the box? Ducklings should have fairly high temperatures. They like a temperature of 90-92 ish degrees for the first three days and then 85-90 for days 3-7. Then gradually drop it after that. With that being said, my temps have been in the low 50's, and they haven't used the heat much. The highs have been 70ish and some days in the 80's. I turn it off on the really hot days. Mine are three and two weeks tomorrow. I have mine in the shed, so they're protected from all drafts and wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by