1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it to cold to let my chickens outside???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Right now its 40 degrees and I didn't know if it was to cold to let my chickens out into the run. They are Buff Orpingtons and Brahmas and are 19 weeks old....this is my first winter with chickens because I got them in June. Is there a temperature where they should just stay in the coop or is it okay as long as its not snowing? Is 40 degrees to cold?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is a photo of mine in 8*F weather. Mine don't like wind or snow. They don't mind the cold. I imagine with their down coats it feels nice.

[​IMG]

I open the pop door and let them decide.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    40? My chickens would sunbathe at 40. The only time it is too cold for my chickens to go out here is when it is too cold for me to go out and open the pop door--that's generally in the dead of winter when there is a couple of feet of snow on the ground and it is about 20 below. Chickens do not mind the cold!

BTW, we've been in the 20's the last couple of nights and I'm still holding off closing the lower coop windows--the upper stays open all winter for ventilation.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by