1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it to early to let my goose go broody?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by poultry09, Feb 20, 2012.

1. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    I live in north west oregon and I was wondering if it is ok to let my american buff goose go broody?. Right now she only has one egg in the nest but she has layed 3 eggs in the past 5 days but the first two where laid outside in the mud. So can I let her go broody if she wants to?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    anyone have any advice?

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi
    I would just leave her to it now she's realised that she should lay them in the nest. It may take a week or so to complete her clutch and finally go broody by which time we'll be into March. The birds should be fine and the main problem with early clutches is the weather still being cold when the goslings hatch leading to potential chills.

I'd say just leave her to it and see how she gets on [​IMG]

4. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    My goose has started laying also. Four eggs. I removed three but then she made a nest so figure mother may know best and am going to let nature take it's course.

5. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    Ok thank you every one, she now has two eggs in the nest possibly 3 haven't checked today. But yesterday I noticed she moved her two eggs out of the nest about 6 inches maybe a foot away and hid them in the hay but did not build a nest around them. Before I left this after noon she was in the nest Where the eggs wher, does this mean she is dumping the first two eggs and starting over?

off topic I know but a while ago I found a place on BYC that was a step by step info page on how to build different types of home made incubators, anyone know how I can find that page?

6. babffel

babffel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Texas
    to find that page you click on coops up at the top... and then look for incubators..

7. poultry09

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    Awesome thank you for helping me find that form

8. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    This is my first breeding season with my pilgrims, but what ive found out so far is that the 1st 4 were not fertile at all...I then took 3 more and placed them into the bator.. Im now letting her build a clutch to sit on. If it were me id take the 1st couple from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by