Is it to early to tell the sex?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redneck, Jun 4, 2007.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    [​IMG] Here are a few pictures of some 3 week old chicks. One withe the bigger comb is also the biggest chick, I think it may be a roo. The smaller has a smaller comb. The bigger chick is Elvira, smaller is Lilly. Elvira may become a Leon...LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's a bit young to tell, post again in a few weeks and maybe we can have better guesses. I usually can't tell on some of my CC roo's till they are about 5 weeks as some are late bloomers.

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I saw a tv show that said to sex them check the wings. If the feathers are in an even row it's a pullet if they are uneven it is a cockeral. They were at a hatchery showing how chicks are prepared for shipping.Also, if the comb has any pink to it it is usually a male. Hope this helps.

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Are those a Cornish Cross type breed, or a white leghorn or other white egg layer kind? I can see obvious wattles on the one chick in the very last picture. I can tell on the other one, but from these photos my guess is that the chick in the last photo is a roo. He looks just like some of my Cornish at 3 weeks old...although he has more feathers. Is there any pink at all in either of their combs? If they have any pink/red in them at this age they are almost certainly a roo. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

5. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    Thanks for all the input on the chicks. I still couldn't tell. But....now I can.
    Here is a good pic of Leroy formerly known as Elvira.
    [​IMG]
    Lilly got in this pic.
    [​IMG]
    Again thanks on all the information. I believe they are a Cornish cross.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Wow, ya really can tell now, huh? Very handsome birds.

Good job spotting it at 3 weeks, though! That way you already had a name picked out [​IMG] .

-Meghan

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You're doing a good job keeping the birds on their feet. No visible bulging of the legs. Enjoy the cornish x's.

8. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Actualy country, its if one row of feathers are shorter thaan the other it's a girl and it the rows are the same it's a boy. :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by