Is it to late to buy chicks in Iowa?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MommaTonya, Jul 24, 2013.

1. MommaTonya

MommaTonya Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    We are just now building our first chicken coop. However I'm concerned it may be to close to the cold months to get chicks. Anyone else from Iowa that can provide their opinion?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I think you are fine, considering how quickly you get them you could just give them a heat lamp if it does get cold but they might be old enough by the time winter sets in to go without heat.

3. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Not in Iowa but most only need to be about six weeks old to handle about anything if they have a good coop.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    The local hatchery here in the Midwest will ship chicks through mid December. You will want your brooder inside or in the garage with a heat lamp to control their environment/temps for the first 5 to 8 weeks. They can then go to the outside coop.

[​IMG]

5. MommaTonya

MommaTonya Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank you! I just found out Orschelns is bringing in another Chick delivery tomorrow ( I didn't realize they had deliveries in the Spring AND Fall...yay for me!) So I'll be going over there to check theirs out.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Did you get some chicks? I got mine from an Orschelns as well :)

7. MommaTonya

MommaTonya Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    No, I drove up there and apparently the guy over the phone had the wrong date. They won't come in till September. By that point I don't think I want to mess with chicks that late in the year. Fingers crossed I'll already have some by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: