1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it to late to plant onions?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by andischickenfarm, Jul 14, 2007.

1. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I don't know who to ask so I thought I would post it on here. I figured one of you all would probably know. [​IMG] I planted onions earlier this spring and I've almost ate all of them! So my question is, can I plant more onion plants right now? Or is it to late? Then things was sooo good! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Andi

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I should think you should have time to plant more now. If you get early frosts you might have to protect them.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on where you live :p. I've never had good luck with onions...

4. ChickMomma

ChickMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    Here in NC it is too late / early to plant them. We plant them here in October through April. Dont know about Oklahoma though [​IMG] Call a feed store or nursery that sells gardening plants they should be able to tell you about planting them now in your area!
    Susanne

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

you can plant them now....but they might not get very big before the first frost. That is, if you are wanting large sliceing onions. If you are just wanting "green onions" Go ahead, plant them.

6. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Thanks! I think I'll plant some more! [​IMG]

Andi
    [​IMG]

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Let me know how they do...........my whole garden aside from my cucumbers drowned in all this rain....... missing my onions.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by