Is it to late?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 14, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Is it to late in the year to sell hatching eggs???

Thanks!

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    It's probably OK in the southern states and the southwest where I am-- I'm not thinking twice about ordering turkey poults in February... but then I'm in Phoenix. If I lived in say, Wisconsin-- there's no way I'd attempt hatching.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Aahhh. Ok. I was just wondering because I was trying to sell rouen hatching eggs, but I guess nobody wants ant because its getting cold.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It's not too late to buy hatching eggs. I think it's probably more the fact that you only have one hen that you're selling from.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Whats wrong with only one hen?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:To get a decent amount of eggs to send the first eggs laid will be bordering on too old to ship out. Add the shipping stress to older eggs and your hatch rate is going to go down even further.

They'll all be from the same parents.

Plus the fact that you haven't checked fertility on them.

7. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I'm in northern Colorado, and I never brood chicks after September, or before March. Too cold at night to keep the brooder warm enough, and they have to be in the brooder much longer than in the spring and summer, when I can put most birds outside by 3 weeks. It's just no fun watching baby birds die in the cold. Can't speak for warmer states, though.

I also know that my fertility rates drops drastically,and I go from 90-95 egg fertility in the summer, to closer to 50-60% in the fall. I've never tried winter hatching. My egg production drops this time of year, too, so I'd rather keep the eggs for sale then try to hatch them. I generally have more eggs than I can sell in early spring, which is when I incubate, and never enough in the fall, so I sell them.

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Why do you say that?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by