is it to late

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by m.rogers, Oct 25, 2008.

1. m.rogers

m.rogers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    I am in Maryland and one of my hens is sitting on some eggs do you all think it is to late in the season to let her keep them . I am new to this whole chicken thing and things seem to be going good.I put 24 mixed eggs in my incubator and i have 18 chicks(will be 2 weeks on 10/28) in the brooder and another 24 in the incubator that are 1 week today there will be some candling going on tonight .

thanks,
    mike

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would just leave her.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    m.rogers :

I am in Maryland and one of my hens is sitting on some eggs do you all think it is to late in the season to let her keep them . I am new to this whole chicken thing and things seem to be going good.I put 24 mixed eggs in my incubator and i have 18 chicks(will be 2 weeks on 10/28) in the brooder and another 24 in the incubator that are 1 week today there will be some candling going on tonight .

thanks,
    mike

How long has she been sitting ???​

4. m.rogers

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    swtangel321

I have been taken the eggs from her for the last week but to day when i want to get my eggs i moved the eggs from under her but stoped and when i did she rolled the eggs back under her and started to grow at me(the funnies thing i have ever heard)

thanks
    mike

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    m.rogers :

swtangel321

I have been taken the eggs from her for the last week but to day when i want to get my eggs i moved the eggs from under her but stoped and when i did she rolled the eggs back under her and started to grow at me(the funnies thing i have ever heard)

thanks
    mike

They are funny things !!!! So she is still laying eggs ???​

6. m.rogers

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    yes she is, she had 3 eggs under her today but not all of them are from her

7. m.rogers

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    i could be wrong that she is still laying

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    It's probably other hens that are laying in her nest when she gets up for food etc. They always fight over a favorite nesting spot.

Im in WV (eastern panhandle) and have a broody out there now. She's cochin so no shortage of warm fluffiness but any hen should be fine. My dad hatches pigeons in January (he's in MD). The peeps will have to spend the first couple weeks pretty close to mom instead of being able to stroll around the garden at free will but that's the only difference.
    She's fine. If you want babies, let her go.

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    m.rogers :

i could be wrong that she is still laying

If she is still laying than she is not broody !!!! If other hens are laying in the nest I would mark the eggs all ready there, you dont want to have the hens keep laying eggs in there b/c then they wont hatch the same time, most broodys leave the nest within 3 days after the chicks hatch to teach the babies and if you have hens that keep laying in there she might leave the older eggs when the other babies hatch.​

10. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When mine went broody, she was sitting on golf balls and not laying. I decided to give her 5 nice shaped and size eggs that were all layed on the same day by the other hens.

I marked the eggs with the date. The other hens would come into the nest and lay when she got up to eat, so I need to keep track of which ones I had set and collect any extras in the nest. They all just hatched yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by