Is it too cold? Do I need to bring them in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lbartsch, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Hello Fellow Chickeners:

This is my first winter with chickens and I'm nervous about them being out in the cold. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and it is usually pretty temperate but the weather forecast has the nighttime lows between 31 and 21 degrees for the next week. I know the chickens are wearing lovely down coats but that seems extra chilly. We have a Rhode Island Red, a Silver Laced Wyandotte and an EE. All are about 5 months old. At night they are in an enclosed coop with sand on the bottom and open nest boxes with pine shavings. Will they be ok without a heater out there or being brought into the house? During the day the temps will be in the mid to high 50s so I'm not too worried about their free range time.

Thanks as always for all the support,
    Lynn in Oakland.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They'll be fine. My fowl have survived 13 degree weather without out any supplemental heat. They're tough little creatures. If you are still worried you could add some extra bedding.

3. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    They should be fine with the full set of feathers and they are old enough to tolerate cold temps. I am assuming that the sides of the coop are no just fencing and open to the weather? If they are open, they really should be protected from the wind. If it's enclosed with walls...they will be fine. Tell them good night!

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Chickens can stand cold weather better than hot weather. They should be fine if they are in a enclosed area with straw/hay.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    As long as they are fully feathered, they'll be fine. We get much colder here than you do. They deal with cold quite well, heat is harder on them.

6. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Thank you so much. I'll try not to be such a worry wart. And yes, the walls are all solid wood so they are protected from the wind. I may throw extra bedding in tomorrow. Thank you again. I can't believe how wet and cold it is here right now. I can't remember the last time it was this cold. I'm kind of hoping we get a little snow out of it - eventhough it will kill all the clover I just planted and probably my veggies too.

Thanks again everyone. [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    After the heat wave this summer & all the ice water I toted to 5 coops. I love the cold weather we are having well I don't but the birds seem too. Yes, Hot weather is harder on birds than the cold. Put on a down jacket & try running around being a chicken in 110 degree heat & see how you feel. Its not just the heat here add the humidity. You need an oxgen tank strapped to your back to breath no joke.

8. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I live in north eastern canada average temps in winter here are -5 F my chickens have never had heat outside of if i put young chicks outside. Which i did a few weeks ago weather has been below freezing so i installed a 250 watt heat lamp for them for heat. My birds some days even free range during the winter if its a nice day they dont mind the cold at all. I try not to let them outside to much dont want them getting frostbite on the feet and combs. But inside your coop you have no worries.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Same here. My chickens are fine!

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Chickens can tolerate cold, but they don't like drafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by