Is it too cold for chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rubysmom, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    My chicks are 8 weeks old and went out to the coop 2 days ago. Now temperatures are supposed to drop into the 30s tonight, is that too cold for them?
    I have their heat lamp over the roost but is that enough? The coop is pretty large and doesn't seem to be staying that warm. The temp in the coop this morning was about 45 degrees. They are all large breed birds and I think they are "feathered out"?

Please help. I was up all night last night checking and worrying that they were too cold. [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 5 weeks tomorrow and have been fine with a heat lamp. It was a low of 30 last night. I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    questioin mine are 7weekish and i was wondering if i put them out at 9 weeks without a heat lamp, would they be fine?

4. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Are there signs too look for if they are too cold?

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, huddling under the heat lamp and not venturing anywhere else.

6. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Is there a specific temperature that it should be in the coop? How cold is too cold?
    Last night they were definitely not venturing out from under the heat lamp [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chicks are not fully feathered with mature feathers that will help them regulate their body temps until 8 - 10 weeks. For large breeds it can be as long as 12 weeks. Until then when the temps fall they will need a source of heat and a draft free area. While they are fragile they are a bit more hearty than we give them credit for. I am sure with the attn you are paying to their needs they will be fine in your coop with heat. [​IMG]

8. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you so much MissPrissy.
    This site has been such an amazing resource for our family. Our 5 little chicks are very grateful to all you veteran chicken owners [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by