Is it too cold?

Devyn Nagy

Crowing
Jun 2, 2020
Michigan, USA
It is forecasted to become very cold in my area for the next few days. (Lows around 0° F) Do I need to do anything to my coop and/or chickens to prepare them for this? I have a couple of loose-fitting boards in my ventilation "strips" to minimise draft but not prevent airflow. Should I seal it up at night to keep the chicken's body heat in and then open it back up in the day? Let me know if there's anything else I should be doing.

Thanks!
Devyn

It is forecasted to become very cold in my area for the next few days. (Lows around 0° F) Do I need to do anything to my coop and/or chickens to prepare them for this? I have a couple of loose-fitting boards in my ventilation "strips" to minimise draft but not prevent airflow. Should I seal it up at night to keep the chicken's body heat in and then open it back up in the day? Let me know if there's anything else I should be doing.

Thanks!
Devyn
Do not close off any vents unless they will allow drafts on the roosted birds. You do not want to trap in heat because you will also be trapping in moisture.
The birds can keep themselves warm as long as their feathers are not being blown open and they stay dry.

I think your Wyandotte’s will be fine.
So far the chickens that have had a hard time for me are large single combs. My poor rooster has had it rough. And my black sex links have some frostbite because their combs are so big.
Yet my turken pullets(laying but have very small combs) and rose comb girls are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom