1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too difficut to breed my Rhode Island rooster with my two hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I recently found a dog house that looks like it would be PERFECT for any broody hens, and maybe mating! All I have to do is stick on a door and a place for them to roost. And of course a nesting box. I want to breed (in the spring) my Rhode Island rooster with my Rhode Island hen, and my Barred Plymouth rock hen. I would need to separate the three of them with my Partridge Plymouth Rock, and my Red-Sex link though. I thought it would be great to then have Black-Sex link chicks, and Rhode Island chicks. I thought maybe my Silkies could hatch them, unless my hens are broody enough, which I heard that Rhode Islands and Plymouth Rocks aren't over all a very broody breed. Can everyone tell me if this would work, and maybe some tips? I also wanted my Silkies to hatch some of their own chicks. How many of batches of chicks will one hen do every year?

If you need more detail just ask!

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm having a little trouble understanding but from what I gather you have 5 chickens, 1 RIR rooster, 1 RIR hen, BR hen, Partridge Plymouth and red-sex link. And you want the RIR hen/rooster and BR hen all to be together in one area, separated from your red sex-link and partridge plymouth? Sorry if I'm wrong. But if this is your case I would be curious to ask what your current set up looks like for your 5 chickens. Is it a hen house attached to a run? How big is your run?

My advice would be to make a simple breeding pen from the dog house you found. Maybe grab a couple 2x4's and some poultry wire and craft a small run and attach it to your dog house. Make it just big enough the rooster is able to mate with the hens and they aren't too crowded, you could make it small enough that you and one other could move it. If at all possible you could make it so your 3 in the breeding pen could see the other two, so they don't get lonely or forget the pecking order. I hope I'm not misunderstanding and wasting your time.

Also, I've had 2 of my RIRs go broody this year, including one out there right now, so don't give up hope.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, sorry it was confusing, but you got everything right. I currently have chicken coop hooked up to a small run. I already have collected some poles, and have found some deer netting on e-bay. I will order the netting soon, this week end, most likely. I will use that to make a bigger run.

Everything you said makes sense. Thanks!

Would you by any chance know how many batches of chicks a hen will hatch and take care of is per year.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by