1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too early? Are they too young?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by youngjedi32002, Jun 7, 2011.

1. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I have 4 pullets that are 14 weeks old. I bought a Purina Flock Block because I thought it would relieve some boredom. They have a big run and peck and scratch a lot but they always seems to be hungry for things other than the huge bowl of pellets always available to them! (I think I spoiled them with leftovers! They beg like dogs fed from the table!!!) Then I noticed on the label that the Flock Block is for chickens 19weeks or more. Are they really too young? Should I give it a few more weeks before i put it out? I know it has oyster shell in it and that can hurt chickens who are too young for it but are they too young at 14 weeks? It is so hard to think of them as "too young" for anything, they are HUGE birds!!! I look at the pictures of them as day old chicks and can hardly believe that was them! But as much as I would love to put that block out for them, I certainly don't want to hurt their systems just because they LOOK grown-up!

Any advice?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would wait. If you give them laying feed when they are too young, it can cause them to grow too fast, which can cause problems and hurt them just as you mentioned. They are probably about full size by now but still in the growing stage so I would recommend holding off a little bit more.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I would wait also...I have had grit out for mine, not oyster shell...now that they are getting bigger and older, they are going out in the run to get their own grit..they are mostly pullets, 2 are roos that I know of...but I will hold off on any feed changes for a bit yet...I will change to layer feed at 18-20 weeks when they hit POL. They have recommended ages for a reason, no matter what size your chicks are....isn't it fun to watch them grow! Amazing!!

4. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    Thanks for the feedback! I will wait. You are right, there are those age brackets for a reason! I give them grit, no oyster shell yet at all. I give it every couple days or so, since they are outside now. They scratch around a lot but I don't think our soil has enough small good stones for their needs so I make sure I throw a handful out every third day or so to keep them healthy! I changed them over to grower feed a month or so ago and I will put the flock block out when I change them to layer feed in July. They have plenty of snacks: fresh veggies, some canned stuff too, and bread heels. I guess I shouldn't indulge them so much and they wouldn't act like little beggars!!! LOL

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine love treats...lettuce, and mostly grapes....apple, celery, alfalfa, anything almost..its a great way to train them.

6. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I would say wait till nearer the advised age. I give mine bananas with the peel still on, they love chasing each other around and pecking it to get the insides out (cut in half first!) [​IMG]

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought two of those for mine, put one out and they hated it and still haven't touched it. They like the scratch grain which is the same stuff but hate it in the block form. So I returned the other one for a refund.

8. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree - why not wait until the age on the bag... Mine are about that age and I have switched to an all-purpose feed, which is a little bit cheaper than the chick starter.

Ryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by