Is it too early for chicks to go outside??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BuffOrp82, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    I have 8 chicks that will be 8 weeks old on Monday (3/10/2014). Right now they are in the brooder in my basement, the basement is heated and they have been without the brooder light for about a week now as the temp down there is about 70 degrees. My husband has very bad allergies and having the chicks in the house has made him miserable. I have converted one of my barn stalls into a coop for the girls and I can hang some heat lamps out there, but temps around here are in the 30's during the day and teens at night still .. the girls are a mix of Buff Orps and Golden Comets which are supposed to be "cold hardy" but I'm worried that it might be too cold for them ..

Any thoughts? Would they be ok if I hung some heat lamps? The coop is 10x10 has a wooden floor and is draft free, but my girls are family and I don't want anything to happen to them ... on the other hand my hubby is pretty important to me too though and I hate to see him suffer.

2. chargerpride

chargerpride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    You could probably do it as long as you kept the heat lamp on them

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Read my post in this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/860561/can-my-chicks-go-out

If it’s draft free, they could have been out there without heat a week or two ago. If you absolutely have to, you can put a heat source out there but be careful not to start a fire. A fire is of more danger to them that those temperatures at 8 weeks. Just make sure to give them room to get away from that heat source if they want to.

My brooder is in my coop. My chicks go there straight from the incubator, this year in colder temperatures than you have. If you can heat an area for them it doesn’t matter what the temperature is away from that area.

4. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks, hung some heat lamps in the coop yesterday to see how warm it got, looks like under the lamps it's an ok temp. I'll be moving the girls out next weekend .. Hope they do ok .. Thank for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by