Is it too early to help ( Update)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pax12, Apr 21, 2011.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    I have 8 duck eggs left, and its day 30, they didnt pip yet, should i help????

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    anyone??? [​IMG]

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I know absolutely nothing about incubating, but I have read posts that say it is hard, but doing nothing is the best thing you can do. You have to let them do it for themselves.
    I sure hope someone comes along to give you better news than me.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. ecse129

ecse129 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    In the duck forum, a lot of duck people have talked about helping them pip. You may want to look there for help? I have 9 ducks on day 29 and one popped out this morning and 7 of the others have pipped. Just waiting on one more pip. Then comes the agonizing wait for them to actually zip and pop out!

5. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    ok thanks

6. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    I might just put a very small hole in so they can breath.

7. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    It's useless to help, if they haven't even pipped internally. All you do is create a hole that lets the membrane dry up and kill the chick. Best is not to mess with it at all, because you are not helping at all. It is a different story, if they have pipped externally.

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I only help if they pip and get stuck. If nothing is coming out of the shell, I leave it and don't open it at all, not even just to see. All I've ever found is developed babies that didn't even untuck their heads to pip. No hole, no help, is my rule. Lot less disappointment then.

9. pax12

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    ok thank you

10. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I would candle them to see if they have internally pipped yet. If they have and you can see their little beaks in the air sack, wiggling and moving around, give them time...personally I've never helped one unless it has externally pipped and is struggling really badly. What kind of duck's are they? Muscovy's don't start hatching till day thirty. You also might not have kept the incubator warm enough and they are just developing slowly. Give them time.

Also, if you do break down and decide to help them, DO IT SLOWLY, let them do most of the work and all of the pushing, DO NOT PULL THE DUCKLING OUT!!! Break along the edges and leave the top intact, LET IT KICK AND PUSH ITSELF OUT... I DO NOT SUGGEST HELPING but if you must, take your time and do it right, hatching is a process that the ducklings need to go through in order to be strong enough to live. Making one tiny hole in the shell for them to breath, only if they have internally pipped and there is no chance of messing with the humidity, should be the most you have to do. I would do one egg as a test run, if its worth the risk to you...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by