1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too hot to put a saddle on my silkie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wannabe_goatmom, Jul 3, 2011.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Hi All! I have a small silkie hen and a silkie roo and 10 other large fowl hens. While the roo mates with some of the other girls he of course likes the silkie the best because she is smallest and easiest to catch. Due to his "affections" she has lost most of the feathers on her back and wings. I feel so bad for her, the poor thing looks so pitiful. I live in KY where it is in the 80's during the day and 60's at night. Do you guys think it is too hot to put a saddle on her? What size does she need? Would it be helpful to get a couple more silkie girls or do you think she would still be his favorite?

Thanks for any insight!!

Billie Jo

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might try separating the rooster for summer vacation. If you want fertile eggs, you could allow occasional "conjugal" visits.

3. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:Depends how far you want to ride her [​IMG]

Kidding...I'll agree with the others that if you make her unavailable for a bit, either by separating or using a saddle, he'll 'spread the love around'

- JC

4. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll try the saddle first and if she seems too hot I'll confine him to the "hospital cage".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by