Is it too hot?

dhansen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
My momma chicken is still sitting on her nest, but the weather is going to be 100 for the next week. Should I move her into a dog kennel and bring her inside? I'm such a rookie and this is all new to me. The chicks should be hatching by the weekend. Will she get overheated? I know the chicks like it toasty, but this may be too toasty for them.
I've loved all the info you have provided so far. Thanks!
tongue.png

I would bring her inside since she will be really hot, but that said, you want her to stay on the nest so for some hens, they don't like the disturbance. Chances are she will stay on the nest till they hatch, just give her a dish of cold water a few times a day and keep an eye on her condition. Safest would be to try and keep her cool, although I know others have just let them brood in 100 deg weather.

I live in Nothern Florida and out heat index has been bewenn 100-115 degrees. My hen is day 17 sitting and to make her comfortable I have a Fan in the pen and I also take her ice water several times as day as well as rub ice on my hands and then pet her to keep her cool. So far so good.
She has actually been sitting since 07/22/07. Her 1st 5 eggs were all duds. I do not have a Rooster so I purchased 10 eggs from a lady on E-bay on 08/13/07 I lived close so I was able to personnally pick up the eggs. She works at our local Wildlife Rescue Society. I candeled the eggs @ 10-12 days and all appeared to have babies. I am a first time Chicken owner. The eggs should begin to hatch on Sunday close so I was able to personnally pick up the eggs. She works at our local Wildlife Rescue Society. I candeled the eggs @ 10-12 days and all appeared to have babies. I am a first time Chicken owner. The eggs should begin to hatch on Sunday 09/03/07 .

I have had good luck using fans to keep my girls cool. Our weather is iusually n the 100's for most of June through the end of Sept and I haven't lost anyone to the heat yet. I have my fans on timers so that they come on by 10 AM and shut off at 7 PM.

Lori

Back
Top Bottom