Is it too late for me to get a couple turkey poults?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    If we plan on eating them for Thanksgiving... is it too late?

If not: What type of turkey do I look for?

Anyone ever make a turkey tractor?????

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    No, not if you go with broadbreasted, either white or bronze. They grow faster than heritage breeds. They won't be whopping record breakers, but should be able to get something big enough to dress out decent. I would try to find some ASAP, though, and with any luck maybe you could find some that are already a few weeks old, not just newly hatched - you never know, try looking on craigslist - there are a couple of small mom and pop type operations within an hour or so of me that keep advertising poults up to 4 weeks old, so it might happen.

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    My local go-to farmer has "royal palms." Are they good eats?

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Royal Palms won't be big enough by Thanksgiving unless they are already a couple months old. According to Porter's, the average adult live weight for RPs is: toms - 22 pounds, hens - 12 pounds.

5. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for the help! Yeah, RP's not worth it. I'll have to check out another farmer nearby. I think he has the bronzes and whites....but they "don't like to sell to you" if they know you're going to eat the bird. [​IMG] How you can be a chicken farmer and say that is beyond me....

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Plenty of time for Broad Breasted varieties. I get three batches in. One next week on the 7th, then Aug 4th, then the first week in Sept. Weights will range 20-26 pounds for batch one, 14-19 pounds batch two and the last ones are the 8-12 pounders.

Go with the whites, they are amazing foragers and the meat can not be beat. Ours will usually roam 5-8 acres with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by