Is it too late for my girls to start laying?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wsdareme, Sep 10, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    My girls will be 18 weeks on Monday, 9/13. I have nest boxes ready, lined with soft hay, ceramic eggs in place, and I'm checking every day. [​IMG] I know that the Dominique and Delaware are the earliest maturing of my hens, and the Dominique has a really red comb and waddles. I haven't noticed anyone squatting or showing much interest in the nests.

Is it getting too late in the year? Will they start laying at all now, or am I doomed to wait until spring? I have a light in the coop that stays on until 10pm to make sure they're getting 14 hours of light. Will they start a little later because the weather is cooler?? [​IMG]

I am DYING to get some eggs! [​IMG]

2. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    My 1st hens started laying in October with no supplemental lighting and laid like mad all through the winter, all the people I sold eggs to were amazed and happy because we were one of the few people still selling eggs in the area during the cold Michigan winter.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Chickens aren't seasonal layers, when yours are ready, they'll lay. Granted some don't lay as well when the weather is extreme--either too hot or too cold--but they'll lay sporadically especially young ones like you have, they can't stop themselves.
    BTW, my pullets that hatched about the same time yours did just started yesterday and then only one of the 10. Check the waiting for April Hatched layers thread in this section, there are a lot of people waiting for their April pullets to lay.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    My girls started laying a year ago today, at age 21.5 weeks (for the first layer) and 32 wks (for the last layer) and they laid all throughout the winter. They are not laying much now however, because they are in their first real molt- but I still get 5-6 eggs a week. Your girls will lay when they are ready - 18 weeks is still young, although it sounds like they are getting ready with their red wattles- good luck- you should be getting eggs any day now [​IMG]

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Thanks everyone! You made my day!! I'll keep looking in all the hidey-holes (under the roost -- it's hard to see back in there) as well as watching the nest boxes!! [​IMG]

6. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    My pullets started at 22 weeks, last June 21 ( winter solstice in Southern Hemisfere). In the coldest winter here in 98 years, they were all laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by