1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too late in the summer to get fertilized eggs for a broody to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenHawk12, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ChickenHawk12

ChickenHawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    I have 3 BO hens and one has been broody repeatedly, with very few breaks, since March or April. I've tried everything....keeping her out in the yard all day while the other 2 stay in the run, a homemade broody breaker, even just leaving her to brood and carrying her out into the run once a day to make sure she eats and drinks. It's no use, and now NONE of my hens are laying, I suppose because of the disruptions in pecking order, etc? I don't think I've gotten 2 dozen eggs total ALL SUMMER, and they haven't even been laying a full year yet.

So I'm thinking about getting like 4 fertilized Red Star eggs from Murray McMurray and putting them under her. It looks like if I order today I won't get them until Sept. 2nd. I live in coastal NJ, and I'm unsure if it's too late in the summer to have baby chicks hatching. By November it's quite cold at night, and I don't want baby chicks in the house again this year.

I know nothing about baby chicks and established flocks, as last year was our first batch of chicks (we bought already-hatched) and I've never done this before.

Should I wait until next late spring, or will they be ok?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Don't worry. With hen raised babies, it's her job to keep them warm, not yours. There are lots of people who have had hens hatch eggs in the dead of winter, in sub zero temps. And the babies did just fine with their mamma.

3. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Actually, I read an article about why to get chicks in the late summer/fall. They said it would be good because by spring they would be laying plenty of eggs.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I do most of my incubating and hatching at the end of summer through the end of fall. And I only have summer/fall broodies. They have never gone broody in spring. The feed stores stop selling chicks in July. I can make a killing selling sexed 6 to 8 week old pullets over the next 4 months. And all cockerels make lovely chicken dinners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by