IS IT too late in the year to raise meat birds for 8-10 weeks????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sonew123, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi all. I made a wizzbanger this weekend and tried it out with a few roos and it was awesome-First time emptying body cavities out too ( not bad when I had the fire pit rolling for the guts [​IMG] and feathers) I had the wizz hooked up to blow feathers right into the fire pit:) anyhoo Im so excited about this that I want to raise 15-20 of them for my freezers for winter. Is it too late in the season??? any words of advice for me?? maybe a smaller batch like 10??

2. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    No, you are good to go. I am guessing even if it gets cooler at the end of summer they will be plenty warm as CXs tend to be a bit warm anyway.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:hmmm Im looking at websites right now then!!! Thank you~

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    What are you going to package them in? My sussex might be as big as a meaty by the time they are 10 weeks old. They grow super fast.

I had one of those sealers, but the juices from the food tore it up. Darn things cost over a $100!

5. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    I'm raising CX now and it's just too hot. I've got 50 more coming in on Sept 9. After this year I'm only going to raise them in the early spring and fall.
    Congrats on the whizbanger. [​IMG] I built one a couple of months ago and would not process another chicken without it.

Bill

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes you are good to go, the trick is to avoid the high heat.
    I'm putting some in the incubator tomorrow, so not starting for another three weeks, should be cool enough here then.
    Nice to see your face!
    p.s. burning feathers does not sound . . . fragrant.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:make sure you dry both the inside AND the outside of the carcass/parts before packaging. GOOD TO GO! [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Katy Hunny!!! I knew you were doing meat birds!!! oooh I tried almost all the hatcheries and none are available for another month or so --is 70-80 too hot?? how fast do your meaties grow??? hmmm eggs getting the bator out again??? [​IMG] your killing me!!!! And yes burnign feathers smell for a tad but the mess or lack there of was amazing and the lack of blood I had on me was amazing! the only really covered was my crocks and feathers! [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:make sure you dry both the inside AND the outside of the carcass/parts before packaging. GOOD TO GO! [​IMG]

ouch dry insides and out? I better get out my rags then because I have 3 roos in fridge I was throwing in freezer tomorrow! thank you--why dry them?

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thanks Bill-- I cant believe that I actually did it! I even surprised myself! Ok I have to add something DH made the design I gave him in less than an hour-he dissappeared after it was done as he knew what was coming-he will not and cannot help poor guy:-(

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by