IS IT too late in the year to raise meat birds for 8-10 weeks????

I got one of 11 just at their first price break and I have on for the 9th for 24 their second price break. I live down the road so I don't have to pay shipping and these little birds are chunks. They are double the size (maybe triple) of my freedom rangers the exact same age. I plan on buying small batches to keep down the amount I have to kill each time. It works for us.

Natalie, before I started using the vacuum sealer, we would double bag ours in ziplocks and press as much air out as possible..I have a friend that pats hers dry, wraps in cling wrap and then bags them..?..haven't tried that..now we vacuum seal them.

A really easy way to keep the juices from messing up your seal (or machine) is to prefreeze the meat. Your packages may come out a little chunkier, but you won't have any issues at all getting a good seal.

Quote:
Hmmm I wonder why dry the insides? Mine go to a processer, wher a govmernment food inspecters inspects each bird. I've watched them, they aren't drying nothing as far as I can tell.... There's not sopping wet either.. I could be wrong though... Gonna ask the next time I go...

you dry the inside because they aren't dry on their own.
smile.png
in NO WAY was i meaning my birds were wet, much less "sopping wet."

i was commenting on the post concerning JUICES (not "wetness") tearing up the vacuum sealer. we all (should) know by now that when resting birds they release "juice." this is what i was referring to drying off. not to mention, some folks age their birds in a brine. i can only imagine how that would fare in the vac sealer.

i've also found that when freezing and keeping chickens for awhile there is MUCH less chance of freezer burn if you dry both the insides and out. i only mentioned drying the insides because i didn't do that for my first few and found that the seal didn't hold after a week or so. the others that i took the time to dry have held PERFECTLY and folks i've given some too have commented on the "professionalism" of the packaging.

2pinkmom apparently understands me
smile.png

First off don't use rags to dry off the birds.... please use paper towels, less chance of bacteria!!

I just packaged 22 birds in various forms... whole (try stuffing a 9 lb bird in the 11 inch bags... what a work out!), cut in half and I boned 8 of them.... most were brined! For the most part sealing went fine but there were some issues with liquid on the bit that is sealed so you ned to either wipe it off or what I do i for the biggers bits roll the bag down so it doesn't get gooey to begin with, unroll when filled and ready to seal!
big_smile.png

Quote:
you dry the inside because they aren't dry on their own.
smile.png
in NO WAY was i meaning my birds were wet, much less "sopping wet."

i was commenting on the post concerning JUICES (not "wetness") tearing up the vacuum sealer. we all (should) know by now that when resting birds they release "juice." this is what i was referring to drying off. not to mention, some folks age their birds in a brine. i can only imagine how that would fare in the vac sealer.

i've also found that when freezing and keeping chickens for awhile there is MUCH less chance of freezer burn if you dry both the insides and out. i only mentioned drying the insides because i didn't do that for my first few and found that the seal didn't hold after a week or so. the others that i took the time to dry have held PERFECTLY and folks i've given some too have commented on the "professionalism" of the packaging.

2pinkmom apparently understands me
smile.png

First off don't use rags to dry off the birds.... please use paper towels, less chance of bacteria!!

I just packaged 22 birds in various forms... whole (try stuffing a 9 lb bird in the 11 inch bags... what a work out!), cut in half and I boned 8 of them.... most were brined! For the most part sealing went fine but there were some issues with liquid on the bit that is sealed so you ned to either wipe it off or what I do i for the biggers bits roll the bag down so it doesn't get gooey to begin with, unroll when filled and ready to seal!
big_smile.png

thank you so much-I guess Ill have to borrow the sealer from SIL if she still has one-Or Im just going to stick to double bagging with ziplocks and using papertowels to dry:)
wink.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

thank you so much-I guess Ill have to borrow the sealer from SIL if she still has one-Or Im just going to stick to double bagging with ziplocks and using papertowels to dry:)
wink.png

seal the bags almost all the way and with a little 'hole' left, suck out the air... just your mouth or a straw, they bag the second time. Use the ziplock brand when freezing... worth the extra expense!

Back
Top Bottom