Is it too late to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liz_s, Oct 31, 2010.

1. liz_s

liz_s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Hello!

So I know that the shorter days make egg production slow down, but I have a possibly different problem. I have three Ameraucanas, theoretically all the same age. One started laying a month ago, but the other two never started. They're about 7 months old, so I would think that they should all be laying by now... If they didn't start laying by the time the days got shorter, will they not start until next year? It seems odd, but not impossible. I'm new to the whole chicken biology thing. [​IMG] Anybody have any similar experiences? Oh, and the one that is laying had definitely not slowed down!

Thanks,

Liz

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    EE's are essentially mutts so even hatchmates may have different genes and start laying at different times. Generally speaking first year layers will lay when they're ready regardless of the season. Right now I've got 4 6-month old EE pullets that don't even appear to be ready but expect eggs from them before spring.

3. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Actually, I don't have EEs. They're pure-bred Ameraucanas. But it's good to know that they might still lay. The breeder I got them from said that they were 8 weeks, but I have a feeling there was a few week difference in their age. I'm not too concerned about it, considering they're mostly lovable pets, but I'm still learning how this all works! From other posts I learned that their combs can be a sign about when they're ready to lay, so I'll be looking out for that!

Thanks for the input!

Liz

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:From what I've read there isn't any such thing--Ameraucanas are just a different set of mutts. But either way I suspect there are a bunch of genes at work that will vary when they lay.

5. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it was actually through BYC's breed index that I first learned the diff. between Ameraucanas and EEs. I was directed to their breeders' club (http://www.ameraucana.org/) and fell in love! Definitely worth the wait for eggs. [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Ameraucanas are an actual breed with a standard of perfection with the APA. From what I have been told, they can take a little longer than other breeds to mature to laying age.

7. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Good to know! I love these forums; I always learn so much- thanks!

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:[​IMG]
    I have bantam Ameraucanas. Beautiful birds meeting the APA standards. Go right ahead and beat that horse!

9. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My chickens have been laying for 6 weeks. The temps are below freezing now here in Alaska....It's dark till 9am and gets dark at 7pm... that means not much daylight. All my chickens are still laying... with a 40 watt bulb in the coop. By Dec 21st there will be only 6 hours of daylight and below zero temps. Its then that I will see what my chickens do during the winter.

10. liz_s

May 16, 2010
    Washington State
    Alaskachick- your winter sounds intense! It's great to know that they're still laying. Do they stay in their coop all day? I would be interested to know how they do when it gets worse. Thanks chic-n-farmer, I am very proud of my girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by