1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too late to move Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amcconnell, Mar 22, 2013.

1. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I have a Buff Orp hen that has been sitting on eggs for 2 weeks now. I've candled and have 9 fertile which are due to hatch on 3/28. She is in the hen house with all the other hens but I have a separate house to move her to. I'm afraid if I move her now that when she comes off the nest to feed that she will try to go back to the regular hen house. If I move her at night to the new location will she stay there????? Thanks for any advice [​IMG]

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I've moved broody hens at all different stages of incubation, from once they start going broody right up to the day before hatch, and even after the chicks have hatched I've moved them! They always seem to figure it out. Of course, my moves usually involve a whole other coop, usually one of my mini-coops. So the broody doesn't even have access to the old nesting site.

3. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I do have a separate coop and hen house which I was planning on moving her to; so she won't have access back to the original hen house. I just wasn't sure if she would come off the nest in efforts to go back to the original hen house. Thanks so much for the input; I guess I'm just worrying too much but as you said....she will probably figure it out once I move her. Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Then yeah, she'll probably be fine. I would just move her on a day that you can keep a close eye on her for the first several hours, to make sure she hasn't abandoned the nest in confusion or anything. Once she looks like she's settled back on the eggs, though, she'll probably be fine. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by