Is it too late to move my broody BO?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feathered Landings, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    About 8 days ago my BO went broody. She was sitting on 2 eggs but when I went to candle them on day 7 they're all gone. So I just put 4 more new eggs under her tonight but am worried the same thing may happen again. One of our hens is an egg eater, so my guess is while the BO was out of her nest her eggs were eaten. I have a seperate place I can put her all by herself, but is it too late to move her? Everyone says to do it right away. If I move her now, will she stop sitting all together? Should I leaver her be and give it one last chance in the coop? I feel as if time is of the essence here, don't think I'll get anymore chances. This is however my first broody hen experience, so maybe I'm just really excited and anxious. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd put the egg eater in chicken jail and let her stay on her nest.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I move my broody hens away from all the other chicken to keep the stress level down. If they go broody before separation I tend to let them get in to a full brood before moving them, unless something is happening to the eggs. Night time is the best time to move, but try not to let her see light because if she sees the movement she might get off the nest. If you move her in the light (including daytime) drape something across the front of the box (if it is a single box/or not hard to move around). If it will make you more reassured you can block the front so that she can't get out but (not sealing her in) for a day. Like a piece of wood and just lean it against the opening or something breathable. Even though it might sound cruel it is not. Almost all of my hens with maybe an exception of one will stay on the nest for a few days in a row before getting up for food or water. You would think they would die, but they seem to know their limits.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I take chicken wire and build a small barrier around the broody hen and her nest giving her seperate water and food. That way no other hens can disturb her nest and the broody hen does'nt decide to move to another nest in the middle of the hatching process.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thank you for all the suggestions. We were considering getting rid of the egg eater all together, but with much work I think she's coming around. She's leaving the eggs in the nesting boxes alone. The broody is on the floor of the coop in the corner, maybe that's what is attracting her to eat, easy access. Plus I've been checking for eggs 4-5 times a day now vs 2 so I'm getting to them before her. I think I may just do as Mike said and build the wire around her, she seems reall set at where she's at and I don't want to ruin it. I'll let you know how it goes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by