is it too late to put chicks under broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by YRuthie, May 6, 2016.

1. YRuthie

YRuthie New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Coeur D Alene Idaho
    My cochin went broody 1 week after I got day old chicks. they were born April 20th and are in a dog crate in my kitchen. I'm guessing it is too late to introduce them to her.....If it is not too late do I have to separate them from the other hens? Also the chicks are Ameraucana if that matters :)

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    You could try at nightime to see if they will bond.
    I am not sure if they will it might take a couple days. But they will love her nice warm chest to cuddle under

BCP

3. YRuthie

YRuthie New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Coeur D Alene Idaho
    Thanks! Will I need to keep the other hens in a different coop? Will they attack the babies?

4. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    They will attack the babies cause they probably haven't been around chicks enough to not kill one.
    How did the bonding go?
    Sorry for my 3 day response

BCP

5. YRuthie

YRuthie New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Coeur D Alene Idaho
    3 Days!!! No worries[​IMG] As you can see I don't get to my computer much...Now to answer your question; I did as suggested and I slipped one chick under my brooder and all was calm... in about an hour I slipped the second one under and [​IMG](this little emoji is how my brooder looked upon "slipping" chick # 2 under her) After the "bug eyes" she jumped out of the nesting box, flew up to the roosting bar and started sounding an alarm ! If she had not been so unhinged it would have been funny. Of course I had the advantage of knowing what was happening. I had never heard her freak out like this before....I'm fare at understanding chicken talk . I think her alarm was something about hatching 'giant alien chicks!
    Then she jumped down and was trying to peck at the chicks[​IMG] [​IMG] so I separated them. Now the chicks are 7 weeks old and at least they have each other. Two days ago I had put the chicks in a dog crate and set them wire to wire with the big girls to see if it upset anyone...all quite in the western front. So in two days I am going to try to introduce the "new" girls to the old...at night...with a flash light at the ready[​IMG] Time will tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by