1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lincoln, Sep 16, 2010.

1. lincoln

lincoln New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I've been wanting to raise some meat birds, but haven't been able to up until now. My worry is that now it'll be too cold here in Missouri to raise some Freedom Rangers. If I were lucky enough to get some by next friday, my butcher date would be at the end of November. If I went with the Cornish, I could bump up the butcher date a couple of weeks and maybe miss some of the cold. What do you all think? Did I miss the boat?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    no you're good, they're easier to raise in cool weather than in hot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No, your fine. I agree, they are easier to raise in the cold than in hot weather.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a batch of Cornish X last week- I went with them over another batch of Rangers because I didn't want to be outside dealing with them or butchering in the middle of December.

5. lincoln

lincoln New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I ordered some chicks from Freedom Ranger Hatchery last Friday and they should be here this coming Friday. Wish me luck!

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

We are really into sharing and documenting info on this thread; so if can and would like to, keep records and pics of weights and feed type/consumption, it may down the road help someone trying to raise meat birds in the fall.

7. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Good luck. Please let us know how it goes and what you decide to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by