Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by actordie, Jul 23, 2008.

1. actordie

actordie New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    Is it too late to get chicks and raise them? and when is too late?

I need to know if i want to convince my dad to let me get chickens... also, If anyone has any more info on things like the smell and how to clean the coop, it would be wonderful.

2. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    Honey, its never to late. you can get them any time of the season. i know its hard to convince parents(im a parent!), but all you need is some money to make this all happen. you'll have to buy the chicks. you'll have to buy/make a coop. you'll have to buy them food, its alot of work in the beggining, but it will pay off. for starting, i suggest getting 1-5 chicks. go 2 www.mypetchicken.com and they're you can buy some chicks WHEN U R READY!! not now, just get premission first and stuff.

3. actordie

actordie New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks! for some reason, my dad thinks you can only get chickens in the spring.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

no no no...chicks are year-round joys. We are expecting a new batch in the mail anyday now! I usually order from idealpoulty.com and privetthatchery.com....

Once you get the OK from your parents, happy shopping!!! [​IMG]

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Actordie, if you look at the online web site for Murray McMurray, there's lots of good advice about getting, choosing, and preparing for chicks there. Just google it.

Yay for you and yay for chicks!

6. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    he probably thinks that because most chicks are born in spring, but they are avalible at online hatcheries. good luck![​IMG]

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The feed stores tend to only carry them in the spring. But i believe the hatcheries sell all year long. You just don't want to have them shipped in extreme weather conditions. But i hatched my showgirls in January/February of this year, and they did fine.

8. actordie

actordie New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    thanks everyone!

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I just bought some chicks and guineas at the feed store today... A lot depends on where you live, too. You don't want to buy chicks in October if you live in a northern state because then you would be looking at having chicks in your house all winter. But here in North Dakota, I have bought chicks in early September and they were fine when the snow flew.
    If you keep their pen clean, there should be no problem with smell. I pile it into a compost pile and it later goes into the garden. Just make sure that you have everything ready before you get any. It isn't any fun when they need to be moved out of the brooder and you don't have the pen ready yet! I don't know where you live, but if there are predators there, you need to consider that when you make their house. For instance, if you have racoons, you need a covered pen. It's devastating when you go out and find that your beautiful birds have all been torn apart!
    Good luck, they really are wonderful to have!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most hatcheries I visit say for most breeds, "Sold out" for the season.

Am I missing something?

Even MPC says some of it's chicks are sold out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by