Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmeeter88, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Here is my dilemma: I suspect that 3/4 of the chickens I bought are roosters. The woman I bought them from doesn't have anymore, so I want to buy from MyPetChicken, which will take probably 3-4 weeks to get here.

I will undoubtedly keep them inside in a brooder while they are young, but once they are 4-5 weeks old can I put them outside in the coop without a heat lamp? Or will they freeze? Or should I just wait until spring? =\\

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would for sure wait till spring. The little ones don't feather out really well until they are over 8 weeks old and they cannot take the cold well. It's best to wait, order for spring and than they will be plenty old enough come next winter [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    in NY, no. you'll need a lamp. they wont be warm enough during those 'lows' when the nights are cold.

how many are you thinking of and how big is your coop? that will make a big difference. also, if it is a small number, you could keep them brooded inside for longer than you were thinking.

or...[​IMG] wait for spring...ah, spring!

4. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    I was thinking of ordering 10... And the Buff Orpingtons I wanted to order are not going to be available until October 20. [​IMG]

I guess I am going to have to wait until Spring... Bummer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by