Is it too late?

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
Here is my dilemma: I suspect that 3/4 of the chickens I bought are roosters. The woman I bought them from doesn't have anymore, so I want to buy from MyPetChicken, which will take probably 3-4 weeks to get here.

I will undoubtedly keep them inside in a brooder while they are young, but once they are 4-5 weeks old can I put them outside in the coop without a heat lamp? Or will they freeze? Or should I just wait until spring? =\\

I would for sure wait till spring. The little ones don't feather out really well until they are over 8 weeks old and they cannot take the cold well. It's best to wait, order for spring and than they will be plenty old enough come next winter
smile.png

in NY, no. you'll need a lamp. they wont be warm enough during those 'lows' when the nights are cold.

how many are you thinking of and how big is your coop? that will make a big difference. also, if it is a small number, you could keep them brooded inside for longer than you were thinking.

or...
sad.png
wait for spring...ah, spring!

I was thinking of ordering 10... And the Buff Orpingtons I wanted to order are not going to be available until October 20.
hmm.png

I guess I am going to have to wait until Spring... Bummer!

Back
Top Bottom