Is it too soon to move to the wood shed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JNorth, Apr 9, 2012.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    Our chicks are 42 days old today. Currently we have them in our house in a large dog crate that has been modified with chicken wire to suit their needs. They have been doing well without a heat lamp during the day and we've been having the lamp off at night for a few nights and all is well.

We have a wood shed attached to our home. Would it be too soon for the chicks to move into the wood shed, still in the crate (since I would trust them to wander around free in the shed... to many places to get trapped), with the heat lamp on a timer for nighttime use (or we can use it all the time too)?

My reason for asking is they are getting bigger and the smell is getting worse, even though I change their bedding and clean the crate every other day. Unfortunately it's not been warm enough here to have the windows open consistently, air flow would help a lot I think.

Anyway, lately the average low is in the 30's and the highs around 60 during the day, but we would definitely use the heat lamp at night. I do believe the chicks are fully feathered, I haven't noticed any fluff floating around in a long while and they are losing small feathers here and there.

Would it be okay to move them, or is it too soon?

2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Definitely go ahead and move them, they will love all the space and will do great! You and they are ready! [​IMG]

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    They should be fine! Some people move them out at three weeks as long as they are mostly feathered in, with a heat lamp if it gets really chilly. Six is enough to huddle together for warmth - you might not even need the lamp. Welcome to BYC!!

4. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Move them, They will do Great.

5. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    Great thanks! Should I start with the heat lamp on all the time for a while or just go right to nighttime only?

6. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Id say just at night. Watch and listen. If you hear some distress peeps or if they are piled on top of each other they my need a little heat.

7. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I forgot my other question... The crate that we are using has a plastic floor that can be pulled out without the crate collapsing, exposing the ground beneath. Should I take the tray out and place there bedding directly on the ground? Our wood shed has a soil/stone mixture floor and we use hay as their bedding. I was thinking that it may help get them used to having ground below them. Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time raising chickens! (If you couldn't tell... HA!)

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hmm...I think whichever is easier for you. As long as it stays secure without the plastic tray, I'd probably get rid of it. They are sitting on the hay either way.

9. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I was wondering the same sort of thing.....my chicks are about 4 and a half weeks old today, and our high today will be about 35 degrees F overcast - I want to take them outside for a romp for the first time......they are fullly feathered, except for a bit on the bum that still has some down. It would be a short stint out there, supervised in a run........

10. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Get them outside, Let them scratch around in real dirt and grass. These little guys are a lot tougher than you give them credit for. Believe me, they will let you know when they are not happy. You will here peeps like you never heard before, distress peeps. When you first let them out they will be in awe, then they'll start scratching and grazing. Let them little buggers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by