Is it too soon to tell if I have roosters?

cydthekid50

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 14, 2015
I was in heaven when I bought what I thought was 3 female Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks. Now they are 7 weeks old and I wonder if I have two roosters. Can anyone give me some info? I've done a little research, and thought all chicken have combs, but one of mine does not yet have one, but the other two do. Also, when I let them out for exercise, the two chicks with combs will fly up and "play attack" just like I've seen on TV with "cock fights". If I have two roosters, are they going to try to kill each other later on?

She has a comb, it's just not yet turning red and developing, and it won't until she is close to laying. I would say yes, you have two roosters and a pullet.

Yes you have two roosters. Now if they fight are not you won't know until they are grown but you want to keep both you should have 6 hens per rooster.

Last edited:
Two cockerels and one pullet. Where did you get them? If from a feed store the employees were mistaken or did not know that most hatcheries do not sex bantams.

thanks for the confirmation. I wanted three hens! These are suppose to be pet house chickens that lay eggs. I can only have three. If I find someone on Craig's list to take the two roosters, how is my one remaining hen going to feel?

thanks for the confirmation.  I wanted three hens!  These are suppose to be pet house chickens that lay eggs. I can only have three. If I find someone on Craig's list to take the two roosters, how is my one remaining hen going to feel?

She will be lonely. You should get at least one other hen to keep her company. Be careful though and make sure to quarantine any new birds you take in because you don't want to introduce illness to your birds.

You need to get another hen that is the same breed or she will die. They don't survive alone. They also will not want to befriend a larger chicken of a different breed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to get another hen that is the same breed or she will die. They don't survive alone. They also will not want to befriend a larger chicken of a different breed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's interesting! I have never heard this. Is this the case for all breeds or just this one in particular?

Back
Top Bottom